Friday, June 18, 2010

The Black Hoof

When you're feeling carnivorous, the Black Hoof has your fix. Delicious food, perfectly prepared, I always want everything on the menu but am usually full after two items (probably all that protein fills me right up). The cocktails are some special too. Very flavourful and very alcoholic, they require that you sip em' slow. Also a nice selection of beers at reasonable prices.

Meanwhile, I'm always somewhat surprised by the good behavior and temperament of the Toronto dining crowd at this restaurant. While the tables are very close together, it's always busy like crazy and there's no parking or reservations, I never hear anyone complaining. The menu is small and mostly meat (I'm not talking about pork chops here, meat as in brains, sweetbreads, livers, hearts, you name it), the diners order without modifications and they eat what they are given and never send anything back. Kudos to Torontonians on this one, and a big congrats to the Black Hoof for a job well done!



My first ever Manhattan. Tasted just how I always dreamed it would! Next to it is a Denisons Weissbier, cold, refreshing and banana-y.



Beautiful Charcuterie! Exceptionally buttery slice of foie gras pate, bison and blueberry salami, rabbit-something, duck prosciutto, and my favorite: horse mortadella. Comes with pickles of all kinds! Fennel, beet, cauliflower, carrot! I could eat all pickles! More pickles! Forever and ever...


OHHHH what a treat this was!!! Tongue sandwich on brioche with aioli, pickled celery and grape mustard. This was the best damn meat sandwich I've had since last eating at Montreal's Lesters and Shwartz's. For all you Torontonians wanting access to a good smoked meat sandwich, this tongue will give you what you need. It's a bit of a challenge to eat mind you, since the brioche really starts to crumble, but I've never been opposed to a good challenge.





No comments:

Post a Comment